Quick spine label printing
Moyra McAllister
2014-02-11 03:51:18 UTC
Hi

I?d like to use the quick spine label creator to produce spine labels ?on demand?.
Will this work with a label printer such as the Brother QL 570 or the Dymo Labelwriter 450? Does anyone have any experience with these or any other label printer?

Thanks in anticipation
Moyra

Moyra McAllister
Melbourne Athenaeum Library
http://library.melbourneathenaeum.org.au
Mob: 0409463663
E-mail: moyrab at internode.on.net
John Palmer
2014-02-11 12:21:33 UTC
Our museum library has been using the Dymo Labelwriter 450 for Cutter
number spine labels. However, we use cut and paste from the Cataloging
screen to the Dymo 8 software for each media object. We also print our own
bar codes using the Dymo 8 software.

If you find a way to use the Dymo directly with Koha, I am interested in
learning how.

Thanks,
John

On Monday, February 10, 2014, Moyra McAllister <moyrab at internode.on.net>
E-mail: moyrab at internode.on.net <javascript:;>
BRANNON, CHRISTOPHER
2014-02-11 22:14:28 UTC
I'd like to use the quick spine label creator to produce spine labels ?on demand?.
Will this work with a label printer such as the Brother QL 570 or the Dymo Labelwriter 450? Does anyone have any experience with these or any other label printer?
Thanks in anticipation
Moyra
Moyra,
We use our Dymo Twin Turbo printer with the quick spine lable creator. Just make sure the margins are set to 0 and the headers and footers are turned off in your browser.

Christopher
SACOTC librarian
2014-02-11 22:47:19 UTC
Hi Moyra,

I use the Brother QL 570 for my spine labels, barcodes and other labels and
it's great.

I don't generate labels from Koha but the printer comes with a software
package that enables you to set up the labels in the way that you'd like
them to print. I just cut and paste from Koha for my spine labels and it's
quick and easy. I keep a running spreadsheet of barcode alpha-numeric
'numbers' and the programme creates the barcode from each number.

The printer doesn't require ink and I've tested the labels by leaving them
directly in the sun for a few weeks and they didn't fade or discolour. I
don't know how they will go over time but we cover them with
archive-quality label protectors which should help preserve the labels.

The best thing about the printer is that it cost me $50 and the refill
rolls are inexpensive and last for a long time.

The printer would not be practical for a large library, but it is adequate
for our small library.

Regards,
Deborah
E-mail: moyrab at internode.on.net
*Deborah Decru*
Librarian

*St. Athanasius Coptic Orthodox Theological College*
*88-154 Park Rd*
*Donvale Vic 3111*
*Melbourne, Australia*

librarian at sacotc.vic.edu.au